I completed a 21 day cleanse a couple weeks ago and ever since completing it, I have been trying to stay on a vegan diet. My body seems to function so much better when I remove animal products from my diet. When my hubby decided he wanted chili one day, I thought it would be nice to find a way to join him, that didn’t mean I had to consume meat.
After searching online for vegan chili recipes, I decided to combine a few together and make it my own. I made a huge pot for a week’s worth of lunches and it’s even more amazing the second and third days!! Here is the recipe for you to enjoy.
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
2 Tbs chili powder
1 1/2 cups each of cooked kidney, black and garbanzo beans (or 1 (15oz) can of each – drained and rinsed. discard the fluid)
6 oz tomato paste
2 28 oz cans crushed tomato
8 oz vegetable broth
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen edamame
Sauté onions in olive oil until tender. Add spices and cook additional 1 – 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and heat, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for about 30-45 mins.
I grew up in Kentucky, home to KFC and four major food groups; meat, carbs, fat, and sugar. When I used to think about becoming a vegan, I found it super overwhelming!! Kentucky is definitely behind the times, so finding good whole foods and animal protein alternatives can be difficult depending on the seasons.
I recently completed a three week long cleanse that helped me transition into more of a vegan lifestyle and I actually found it quite easy! Educating myself on the most nutritious foods and the types that can offer high amounts of protein are probably what made this journey a lot less taxing. I’m very proud of my success so far and I’m excited to see how it goes in the next few months.
Along my journey I came across a lovely pancake recipe. I was sooo delighted because I LOVE carbs. Pancakes used to be one of my favorite breakfast items until I became aware of how horrible they made me feel. Now, I can enjoy them AND get in lots of nutrients from replacing the ingredients I use!
Here is the recipe for these scrumptious breakfast cakes:
1 heaping cup of rolled oats (use gluten-free if needed)
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 ripe banana
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup blueberries
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1) Combine all pancake ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2) Allow the batter to rest for 5-10 minutes. This gives the oats time to soak up the liquid and thicken up.
3) Preheat a pan coated with coconut oil over medium high heat. Once hot, pour in 1/4 cup of batter.
4) Cook for 1-2 minutes or until you can easily slide a spatula underneath. Flip and cook on opposite side for 1-2 minutes.
5) Repeat until all the batter is used up.
1) Place blueberries in a small saucepan on high heat.
2) Heat until berries are slightly oosing with juice.
3) Remove from heat and add in pure maple syrup.
4) Pour over your stack of pancakes and ENJOY!